My Blog List

Monday, February 29, 2016

Blackberry 10 One Month of Thoughts

As many have said before BB10 is essentially dead and gone just like Palms WebOS.

My roommate let me barrow his old work phone the BlackBerry Classic so that I didn't have to swap my Verizon sim from my families plan with my Project Fi sim in and out of my Nexus 5x. My first week with it I. Noticed that the bbworld app store looked a little sparse of official native apps from Google, facebook, instagram and other popular and commonly used apps. However there were tons of options to choose from for paid third party developers that looked sketchy at best. I will say is that I have never had any sort of BlackBerry before and the ecosystem of BlackBerry apps had much to be desired and was informed I could do other apk files from android on it. Only problem was the ones I needed such as Hangouts to access my project fi account were not supported due to the dependency on play services.

My only issue was app support on BlackBerry was and is dieing off. I did see in an article that the latest app to stop BlackBerry support is whatsapp messenger will be ending it's support later this month.

The one feature that I was excited to use again on any sort of device was the physical keyboard. It took me a long time to say goodbye to it when I had no more boarded options from the Verizon store at home and I needed a new phone. Typing on it is so much faster that using the swipe keyboard on the android though it took me a bit of time to retrain my hands to type again. The only drawback is that it is a two handed type on BlackBerry keyboard and I can't walk have a coffee and type on the same time #americanprobs. 

I do hope that the BlackBerry Priv takes off because I would love to have a phone with a physical keyboard again and who knows maybe there is a chance that other makers will go back to it. (I still try to use my old android phone with keyboard when I can).

PS on the crack berry forums I did find a pc program that allows you to patch any android app including hangouts, inbox and other play services dependant apps. It will take a bit to set up but getting apps are a breeze after.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android-apps-amazon-store-apk-files-f413/cobalts-official-google-apps-landing-page-965257/

No comments:

Post a Comment